Thursday, December 22, 2005

Freewriting

My head really hurts today, so I might not make much sense. I get to stay up all night tonight with a dozen teens. If it doesn't get better quickly, I'm going to be MISERABLE.

I've been reading lots and lots of editorial/opinion stuff on the 'net, and it's inspired lots of thought. One thing I've been thinking of, and Mike and I have been discussing, is the idea of tolerance. It really seems to me that there is no middle ground. People believe something and are adamantly judgmental about everyone who believes differently, or people say they believe something and if you want to believe it, that's fine, and if not, that's fine, too, because it really makes no difference what you believe in the end. Sometimes this is apparent in big issues, like religion and morality, and somethings it is on small issues, like housekeeping.

I read something earlier this week where a lady had written something to the effect of, "Housework is so much fun! If you do not enjoy housework, you have no imagination/appreciation/discipline/whatever." I'm still puzzled by that. First of all, how on earth did she come up with her thesis? So ok, she might enjoy housework, but to say everyone should enjoy housework? And how unfair is it to set women up for disappointment like that? If I don't like scrubbing toilets, I'm not grateful? If I don't enjoy mopping floors, I'm not a real woman? If I don't appreciate getting up at the crack of dawn to cook breakfast from scratch, I'm not a good wife? Perhaps this struck a chord with me because I am a terrible housekeeper. I hate cleaning, and I don't really like most cooking. And it shows in my work. But I know I'm not alone in this, and I don't think it's fair to set people up with these grand expectations.

On a blog I visited for the first time today, a woman had a quiz to determine if you were organized or not. I kid you not, you were determined to be disorganized if you had liberal ideals. I am FAR from liberal, but I'm not very organized. I fail to see the connection, and I think her quiz was riddled with prejudice.

I read something else last week about humility when debating an issue with someone. This is something that is also pretty personal with me. I like to be right. I hate to be wrong. My husband is pretty much the same way. The post on humility was in regard to disagreements regarding doctrinal and theological differences. I don't think I do a very good job at it, but I would like to extend my fellow humans with enough grace to not violently bristle at the mention of something I disagree with. I want them to give me the chance to calmly explain and defend my position, so I should do the same for them. This will be especially important for me to remember as I prepare to spend time at holiday gatherings with my father-in-law this weekend;)

Believe what you believe. Have reasons for what you believe. Defend what you believe. But be nice when the subject comes up. And if it's not an issue that's central to your relationship with the other person or an issue that determines one's eternal destination, don't offend someone for the sake of being right.

1 Comments:

At 3:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mary,

I'm just checking up on you through your blog. We've both been very inactive bloggers lately! I just updated mine, so I thought I'd check yours as well.

I want to give you a big hug. I know how it feels to have so much to do and to be totally unmotivated to do it! (And to waste endless hours on HP while the chores stack up!)

And it's okay not to like housecleaning. Really. Hugs to you for that, too.

I hope your lock-in went okay and that you were headache-free by the time it started.

And one more hug just for good measure,

Karen / parsleygirl

 

Post a Comment

<< Home