Thursday, December 09, 2004

For power is perfected in weakness

Concerning this I implored the Lord three times that it might leave me.
And He has said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for power is perfected in weakness " Most gladly, therefore, I will rather boast about my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may dwell in me.
Therefore I am well content with weaknesses, with insults, with distresses, with persecutions, with difficulties, for Christ's sake; for when I am weak, then I am strong.

1 Corinthians 12:8-10

Paul wrote this regarding his "thorn in the flesh". I'll leave the nature of this thorn to others to debate.

Whatever his thorn was, these words both comfort and trouble me. I am comforted with the knowledge that Christ's power dwells in me, that God will turn thorns into blessings, that Christ is my strength in weakness. I am selfishly troubled by the idea that I have to endure difficulties for Christ to be able to do these things in me. It often seems to me that it is a great injustice. I am not a "bad" person, so why do bad things happen to me? I am humbled by the truth that Jesus Christ, in His perfection, became sin FOR ME. He knew His purpose when He came to earth to live as a man. He endured suffering and shame for me. He was separated from His Father for me. What makes me think I deserve better?

But we have this treasure in earthen vessels, so that the surpassing greatness of the power will be of God and not from ourselves;
we are afflicted in every way, but not crushed; perplexed, but not despairing;
persecuted, but not forsaken; struck down, but not destroyed;
always carrying about in the body the dying of Jesus, so that
the life of Jesus also may be manifested
in our body.
2 Corinthians 4:7-10

If I were good enough to be spared from pain and heartache, I would not need Christ. I still don't know why I have to endure certain trials, and I do not want to pretend to understand God's will. I know, however, that if I got what I wanted all the time, I would quickly learn to trust myself and forget to look to God and His ways. Perhaps this is the only way for me to set aside my pride and learn to:

Trust in the LORD with all your heart
And do not lean on your own understanding.
In all your ways acknowledge Him,

And He will make your paths straight.
Proverbs 3:5-6

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home